Not my best day, but not my worst either. This one definitely hurt more than I wanted it to. 5th race in the past 6 weeks at every distance!!! — 10K, full marathon, 4.5 mile relay leg, 5K, and today’s half! MADE IT TO 1500 MILES THIS YEAR!!!
The Box Score
December 30, 2018. 8:00AM Start. Bib #2099.
Gun & Chip Time: 1:24:01 (6:25 min/mile).
Overall: 4/164. Male: 3/74. Men 25-29: 1/11.
The Night Before:
- “I shouldn’t be eating so much.”
- “I shouldn’t be eating so much hotpot.”
- “I might regret eating so much chili tomorrow.”
- “I might regret staying out until almost midnight.”
The Morning Of:
- “It’s so cold!”
- “I wonder if they’ll have gear check.”
- “I wonder if anyone fast’ll show up!”
- “Why are they making us do squats to warm up before a footrace?”
- “The staff are all so friendly!” (They held our race shirts and checked my sister’s and my gear without an official gear check.)
Looking around the Starting Line:
- “Oh, there’s actually quite a few people here!” (Last year, there were 46 half-marathon runners — this year, there were 164!
- “OK… looks like there’re some serious runners here.”
- “That woman has some seriously intimidating abs. Are you serious?”
- “I’m starting too fast.”
- “I shouldn’t be the first one out the gate.”
- “I don’t think I can hold a sub-5 pace for 13.1 miles.”
- “Dang it, high school volunteers, get off the road!”
- “I’m in third. But the two people in front of me are so far! I don’t know where to go!”
- “The course isn’t marked! What the heck!?” (I did pick the correct turn in the road.)
Past the 10K Turn-Around Point:
- “Where is the turn-around point for the half marathon!?”
On The First Return Trip (i.e. Miles 4-6):
- “This feels easier than going out. Is there elevation on this boardwalk? Seriously?”
- “Shoot, someone’s catching up.”
- “Crap, that guy’s passing me.”
- “Dang it, so sad I can’t hold this pace for another 6 miles. Man!!!”
On the Second Time Out (i.e. Miles 7-9):
- “Well, there’s the finish line. But time to go back out for a second jog!”
- “This isn’t going to be fun. Hope no one else catches me.”
- “Am I really going 7-minute miles?”
On the Second Return Trip (i.e. Miles 10-Finish):
- (right after the turnaround) “Shoot, there’re so many people right behind me!”
- “OK, time to hit the gas on the slight decline on the way back.”
- “Yeah, I’ve got no energy to give you a high five. Sorry not sorry.”
- “Wait, my heart rate is WAY too high! Can I hold it? Only 2 miles left! I’ve got to!”
- “So many 5K/10K runners! At least there’s still space to maneuver…”
- “Wait, I thought I wasn’t going to beat 1:25 at my slow-ass pace.”
- “Wait — ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME? ONE SECOND OVER 1:24?! FUDGE!”
- “Hey! It’s Chris!!! And his brother Matt! They came!”
- “Wow, I’m glad that’s over.”
- “Why does my watch say 13.0 miles? Man!”
- “That hurt way too much.”
- “I need to get new racing shoes or socks. I can’t believe I’m getting another blister under my foot. BOTH FEET.”
- “I need to wash all this sand out of my shoes ASAP. Don’t want more blisters! This sucks!”
- “HEY! I GET A TROPHY! FIRST TROPHY! YAY!!!”
- “What’s this other prize. Oh, some chiropractor coupon. Very funny to give that to the top three male/female winners.”
Now I get to rest just a little bit. Upcoming races:
- January: Hot Chocolate 15K.
- February: FOURmidable 50K.
- March: Napa Valley Marathon!