Journal: Saturday, October 24, 2020

In Personal

Another weekend, another run.

But before I went running today, I spent a bunch of time working on the Security Specialist Superbadge. As with my first Salesforce Trailhead Superbadge (Service Cloud Specialist), this one was only supposed to take “~6 hours”. But of course, I got stuck, this time on the second challenge (out of 7). So I couldn’t get it done before I had to get out the door (to avoid running in the dark on my return). Oh well.

The run itself was nice. I was a little worried that I’d be kind of tired after bouldering last night for the first time since March (now that Alameda County’s allowed indoor climbing again). But interestingly, I started off feeling pretty strong.

The feeling didn’t last long though.

Though I planned for 20 miles, I started feeling it after 7-8 miles, as the Ohlone Greenway started to taper off, and as I started to climb uphill toward the El Cerrito Natural Hillside Area.

Fortunately, because it was my first time there (and because of the really nice series of interpretative signs planted along its main trail), I had an excuse to slow down as I hiked up toward the Mezue Short Loop Trailhead, off Wildcat and Rifle Range roads.

The rest of the run was fairly uneventful. But some highlights:

  • As I ran down Conlon Trail, I saw the usual cows (though today almost all of them were resting under the trees — uncommon).
  • As I approached the ridgeline, going southbound, toward Wildcat Peak, I felt some 25-30mph gusts (foreshadowing the “20-year wind event” to happen tomorrow — which’ll also close almost a dozen East Bay parks).
  • And at the intersection of Shasta Road and Golf Course Road, I saw a red-shouldered hawk. (A passing motorist stopped to tell me that I was hard to see against the sun, as I was taking a photo of the hawk.)

In the end, I decided to cut the run short at 18 miles. All the better, cuz that’d let me get dinner on Telegraph. I got curry ramen from Muracci’s.

Suppy asked me if I wanted to do yoga tonight, but I’m too tired.

But ironically, after taking a nap (for about an hour), I’m back and working on my Trailhead superbadge again. Too late now for yoga (even yin yoga, I think — which is what we did after my 18-miler-followed-by-a-nap last Saturday).

Let’s see how far I can get with this badge.


Leave a Reply